Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Maze Runner by James Dashner- An enjoyable puzzel for the mind.

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)The Maze Runner by James Dashner

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I purchased this book last November because blogs spoke highly of it. It sat in my books I want to read NOW pile (as subset of my "to be read") for about 3 months getting preempted by other books. Recently there has been a lot of praise for this book on twitter so I picked it up. It starts a little slow but very mysterious. This book was suspenseful, intriguing and thrilling. Mr. Dashner writes with a technique of purposeful confusion. The concept is not confusing but you get the confusion of the characters within the book. I really would have liked to see a map of the glade and maybe a drawing of how he pictures the grievers, to see if my imagination was even close. I did notice that some people on goodreads did not review this book with as high praise. Some said the personalities were not very developed. I think this was intentional as it is how Thomas perceives them and granted this all takes place in a matter of about a week or two. Can anyone get a true read on any one person in a group of people in that short of time. It probably in how much you read into the story. I will definitely be in line for the next installment. I will be encouraging my 12yo son to try this one. I think he will like it.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment